Landscape and Wildlife Workshop - Full Story

Shetland can offer some of the most outstanding locations for landscape photography in the whole of Europe. Despite its compact size, the islands have an extraordinary range of settings, from the rugged to the rustic, all within easy reach of our base at Hoswick.

The ever changing weather ensures an infinite variety of moods and atmospheres, with dazzling seascapes and sea views to challenge and excite the most expert photographer.
During this week we shall choose the best locations depending on weather, light, season and any other conditions at the time to make sure you have the best possible experience while you are in Shetland. So the location itinerary will change, depending on these factors.
The main areas we shall focus on will be the South Mainland, the West Side and Northmavine.
We also take in the abundant wildlife including Common and Grey Seals and  a good chance of Otter.
During these courses we shall be covering the following aspects of digital photography:
Field techniques  – Metering, Lighting, Flash, Composition, Focus and Sharpness, Equipment and its correct use.


Computer Room Techniques – Adobe PhotoShop Tools
Optimising PhotoShop,
Raw vs Jpeg;
Histograms and Exposure;
Cleaning and Adjustments;
Creating and Stitching Panoramic Images;
Expanding the Dynamic Range and HDR;
Raw Conversions; Layers and layer Masks;
Advanced Black and White Conversion;
Monitor and Print Calibration.
Fine art Printing.
Everything from capture too print will be covered.
(For a more in depth explanation sees our Digital Workshop Overview Page

we will spend approximately 70 per cent of our time on location, with the remaining 30 per cent spent in the digital light room.
Activity level: All the walks on this course are short and easy, and do not require a great level of fitness.

Day One – Saturday
Arrival,  welcome session and evening meal.

Day Two – Sunday
After breakfast we will head straight out to the day’s location, where we will cover all of the most important aspects of field technique and how to capture the essence of the landscape.
South Mainland
This narrow peninsular running 25 miles south of Shetland’s capital, Lerwick, boasts some of Shetland’s most attractive scenery, extraordinary archaeology and world class wildlife.
There are amazing viewpoints for watching birds, seals and cetaceans, including the most accessible, cliffs in the isles, at Sumburgh Head. There are sandy beaches, such as Europe’s finest sand tombolo, at St Ninian’s Isle, and stunning lochs.
We will return in the late afternoon to assess the images we have taken and start tuition in the digital room.

Day Three – Monday
This morning we will put into practice and fine tune the techniques we learnt yesterday. ‘One to one’ tuition will be provided, allowing time to experiment on your own as well.
Northmavine has Shetland’s most outstanding coastline, a rich variety of wildlife,
The coast throughout Northmavine is remarkable, with magnificent cliffs, extraordinary rock formations, beautiful deserted beaches, and tranquil sheltered voes. Inland the hills are peppered with trout-filled lochs,
In the afternoon we will return to the digital light room to develop our all important computer workflow.

Day Four – Tuesday
Between 9am and 2pm we will be taking photographs on location, returning to the digital light room from 2–5.30pm. However actual times will be subject to weather and light conditions, as we want to take advantage of the early morning and late evening light.
West Side
The wild west of Shetland is a large expanse of rolling moorland and fertile pasture, with peaty lochs which are home to trout, waterfowl and all kinds of aquatic plant.
It’s extraordinary coastline has dramatic cliffs and long voes extending into heathery hills, with many a sheltered beach.
Here the islands’ crofting culture runs deep with traces of ancient farmsteads and field systems everywhere.

Day Five - Wednesday
Today we will cover more areas of the South Mainland , being closer to our base we can move to and from the digital room, when we have the right lighting conditions.

Day Six - Thursday
Today we will bring our complete computer workflow together, and work on a image taken by each member of the group, from download to the final print.
 we will have  another  session on location.

Day Seven - Friday
More Wildlife , Landscapes  and Otters.
Day Eight  - Saturday
Breakfast followed by departure

Next reccomended page 

h3>Tour in Detail





30th March - 6th April



Group Size

Maximum of

6 Photographers.



£975.00 GBP

Deposit £175.00

Single Suplement £69



Cost Includes

Transport within Shetland 


food and drink.




Cost Excludes

Alcohol and personal effects.


Fitness Level

Level 2

 Click Here for Fitness Chart

Travel to Shetland


Websites for Photographers by Click-IT